Britain’s biggest cruise ship – level 2
Britain’s largest cruise ship sailed into her home in Southampton. Crowds of people welcomed her. To celebrate the ship, two parachutists held the flag of UK when they were in the air.
The ship is 1,082 feet (330 metres) long. That means that it is longer than the new skyscraper “Shard” in London is tall.
The ship cost 473 million pounds to build and the Queen officially named it. The ship’s maiden voyage will be to the Mediterranean.
Difficult words: cruise ship (a ship for cruising – sailing for fun), sail (to move on water), maiden voyage (the first trip).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever been on a cruise ship?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.