Britain’s Post Office scandal – level 3
The UK’s Post Office IT scandal involves the wrongful prosecution of thousands of post office operators between 1999 and 2015, labeled as one of the greatest miscarriages of justice.
The Horizon IT system, installed by Fujitsu, inaccurately reported cash shortfalls, leading to false accusations. Subpostmasters and postmistresses, who ran smaller post offices, were affected. A toxic management culture at the Post Office exacerbated the situation. Despite government oversight, the injustice persisted until 2019 when high court rulings acknowledged the wrongful convictions.
The recent ITV drama ‘Mr Bates vs the Post Office’ brought attention to the issue, prompting a swift response from Rishi Sunak, who announced a plan to overturn convictions and compensate victims. However, concerns about constitutional implications and the unprecedented nature of the plan have been raised by legal experts.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What actions has the UK government taken to address the Post Office IT scandal and its impact on post office operators?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.