Britain’s youngest MP – level 3
Keir Mather, a member of the Labour Party, has become the youngest MP in the House of Commons at the age of 25. He won the Selby and Ainsty by-election, overturning a significant majority.
Mather grew up near Selby and was actively involved in politics from a young age, joining the youth parliament and setting up a Labour group for young people. He studied history and politics at Oxford University, worked as a parliamentary researcher and public affairs adviser, and became a political leadership scholar at the Blavatnik School of Government.
Mather is known for his love of speaking and his passion for politics. He supports the rugby league team Hull Kingston Rovers and believes in the power of community and unity. His mother believes he has a bright future in politics and doesn’t rule out the possibility of him becoming a future prime minister.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What values and beliefs does Keir Mather hope to bring to the House of Commons?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.