Building falls in Jordan – level 2
A four-story building collapsed in Amman, Jordan. Many people lived in the building, and they were in their homes when the suddenly broke under their feet.
More than 10 people died, and rescuers expected to find more dead bodies. Surprisingly, hours after the accident, they found people who were alive. Rescuers saved a four-month-old boy from the rubble. The boy’s happy mother gave sweets to people outside the hospital for the victims.
Officials didn’t know why the building collapsed. Police arrested three people, including the owner of the building, and started an investigation. The area was popular with people, and it had many cafes, bars, and galleries.
Difficult words: collapse (to suddenly fall), rubble (the broken pieces of a building), investigation (work to find the truth about something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos