Bull Sport in India – level 2
In southern India, a controversial bull-taming sport is making a comeback. Thousands of people came to watch the tradition which is centuries old.
India’s top court stopped this tradition because of animal cruelty. One man said that people hit the bulls with sharp objects, force them to drink alcohol, and hurt their tails.
In 2017, the sport came back when protests made the laws change. An organisation wants the court to ban the sport again.
A man who wants the sport said that people think of the bulls as their own children.
Difficult words: controversial (when people feel strongly about something and they argue or talk about the thing), tame (do things to an animal so that you can control it), cruelty (being cruel – doing something that hurts the animal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos