Bus in Forest – level 3
An abandoned bus in Alaska, popularized by the book and film ´Into the Wild´, was removed by a helicopter because of public safety concerns.
The bus had become a hazard, attracting hikers to a dangerous area without cellphone service and subject to unpredictable weather and swollen rivers. Earlier this year, five Italians had to be rescued from the bus with one suffering severe frostbite.
The wreck was the last refuge for adventurer Christopher McCandless, who died there in 1992. McCandless traveled across North America, and he hitchhiked to Alaska in April 1992. He entered the Alaskan wilderness with minimal supplies, and he hoped to live off the land. On the eastern bank of the Sushana river, he found an abandoned bus which he used as a shelter. In September 1992, a hunter found his body inside the bus, and his body weighed only 67 pounds.
Difficult words: hazard (a danger), frostbite (injury caused by cold, usually to someone´s face, fingers and toes), refuge (a shelter or protection from danger), hitchhike (to travel by getting free rides in someone else´s vehicle).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.