California storms – level 1
California, United States, has problems with snowstorms. Storms bring snow, rain, and wind.
Such extreme weather is very unusual in California. It is very cold, too. It snows heavily in the mountains. The wind reaches 100 kilometers per hour. It rains very much in the flatlands. Authorities must close roads around Los Angeles because of floods.
Almost 85,000 households and businesses are without power. Authorities ask people not to travel if it is not really important. The storms will continue for at least until Wednesday.
Difficult words: extreme (very great or strong), flatland (land with no hills or mountains), household (people who live together in one house or flat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some of the problems that California is facing from these storms?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos