Camel Racing in Jordan – level 3
Hundreds of camels and camel trainers came to the Wadi Rum Desert in Jordan to race. Camel racing is a tradition and brings in crowds from all over the country. The racers competed for 400 Dinars (564 dollars) and bragging rights.
Child racing is not allowed in Jordan, so trainers used robotic radio-controlled jockeys.
Since there were so many racers, some eventually got the hump. One man said that he received second place and that it was a nice competition. Another man said that his camel failed so he received second and third place.
The camels will race again after Ramadan.
Difficult words: bragging rights (the rights to brag – say that you won something), get the hump (get upset with someone because you think that he or she did something bad to you), Ramadan (the ninth and holy month of the Muslim year).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos