Canada protests – level 3
A convoy of trucks blocked Canada’s border with the US, and protesters refused to leave until the government ended all vaccine mandates and COVID-19 restrictions.
Hundreds of trucks were in the demonstration to bring traffic to a standstill, and the event paralyzed the capital city of Ottawa.
On Sunday, the city declared a state of emergency, and the Ottawa mayor said that the protests were out of control. Canada’s prime minister said that the protests had to stop, and he promised to send help. Residents were upset with the disruption, noise, and pollution, and many local businesses closed.
Most of the protests were peaceful; however, some people reported vandalism and racial abuse. Despite being accused of being too careful, police arrested several people, and they took fuel cans and propane that kept the trucks running.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.