Capital punishment in Utah – level 2
Utah is a state in the Southwestern United States and capital punishment is legal there. Until 2004, police executed the prisoners of Utah by shooting. In 2004, the state started to use lethal injections.
However, there aren’t enough of these injections and they may be ineffective. Some injections do not kill the prisoners quickly and they make them feel pain. Some people say that death by shooting is more humane. Others say that it’s cruel.
People voted on a new law which would let the state execute prisoners by shooting.
Difficult words: capital punishment (the killing of a prisoner as a punishment), execute (to kill somebody as a legal punishment), lethal (deadly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you for or against capital punishment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.