Car Curling – level 3
A spate of accidents caused by black ice last autumn inspired a tournament in Russia. It was the country’s first-ever car curling tournament.
Four teams of 10 pushed tiny cars towards a target painted on an ice rink. Each team had nine attempts to get its three cars as close to the centre as possible.
People removed the heaviest parts of the cars, including their engines and gearboxes, before the event.
Difficult words: spate (a series), black ice (ice which is on a road and is the colour of the road, so it is hard to see and is dangerous), tiny (very small), attempt (a try), gearbox (the transmission).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.