Carving pumpkins underwater – level 2
An aquarium in London marked the start of the Halloween season. Two divers carved pumpkins in a fish tank. It was, in fact, a competition against each other and the clock.
The two people are actually a couple, and the winner was the boy. He carved his pumpkin in just 1 minute and 57 seconds.
He said that carving a pumpkin underwater was hard. He had to move really slowly and watch out for fish.
Difficult words: carve (to cut something to make it look nice), the clock (time), watch out (be careful).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you carve pumpkins on Halloween?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos