Cat is sold with a house – level 2
An Australian couple was selling their house. They said to the estate agent that their cat would go with the house. They meant it as a joke, but the estate agent wrote it into the contract.
Somebody offered to pay $2.2 million dollars for the house, and this person insisted on getting the cat, too. Without the cat, he would pay $140,000 less for the house.
The couple was happy to get 2.2 million dollars and they sold the house with the cat.
Difficult words: estate agent (a person who sells and rents building for clients), contract (a piece of paper about the thing which you’re selling), insist (to want something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you sell your cat for $140,000?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.