Catalonia Protests – level 3
Catalonia, home to Barcelona, is a semi-autonomous region in northeastern Spain with about 7.5 million inhabitants.
Since the 2010s, there has been a growing support for Catalan independence, which caused Spain’s biggest constitutional crisis in decades. Demonstrators supporting Catalan independence clashed with police after they tried to reach the regional parliament building in Barcelona. Furious protesters marched and threw pig heads at the police.
The protests started when the Spanish Supreme Court banned the Catalan president Quim Torra from holding any public political office for 18 months after he had disobeyed electoral law. The court’s decision has started a new period of political uncertainty in the region.
Difficult words: semi-autonomous (having self-government within a larger political entity), constitutional (relating to the basic laws of a state), electoral law (the rules and regulations that affect elections).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.