Cathedral Works – level 3
On Wednesday morning, workers at the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, reached a turning point in the restoration of the gothic monument that was severely damaged by last year´s blaze.
The fire broke out in April 2019 while restoration of the cathedral was underway, and it destroyed the spire and two thirds of the roof. Hundreds of firefighters battled the blaze to save the monument.
Workers successfully removed all 200 tons of roof scaffolding that melted during the incident and it was considered dangerous. Officials worried that removing the scaffolding could cause more of the monument to fall down because it had melted in the building and as a result, it was keeping the building together. Now, crucial protective and stabilization work is about to proceed.
Difficult words: spire (a tall narrow structure on top of a building, usually a church tower), scaffolding (a metal structure on the outside of a building that workers use while building or repairing the building), proceed (to start an action).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.