Chad president dies – level 2
Last week, Chad´s president, Idriss Déby, died at the age of 68.
Déby became a president in 1990, and he was in power for more than 30 years. He was one of the longest-serving African presidents. He cooperated with France and other Western countries in the fight against Islamic militants.
Last week, Déby went to a frontline, and he visited soldiers who were fighting with rebels in the north of the country. Then he was badly hurt in a fight and he died.
Déby´s son became the new leader, and he brought down the government. He named 15 generals who would lead the country for the next 18 months. He promised that after this time, there will be free elections.
Difficult words: militant (a person who wants changes in a country, and he is very active and dangerous), frontline (a place where soldiers fight with each other), rebel (a person who fights against the government or leader).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.