Chad president dies – level 3
Chad´s president, Idriss Déby, died while visiting troops on the frontline of a battle against rebels, an army spokesman said.
Déby died at the age of 68, after spending more than three decades in power, which made him one of Africa´s longest-serving leaders. He came to power in 1990 through an armed uprising, and he was a long-time ally of Western powers in the battle against jihadist groups in the Sahel region of Africa.
The government and parliament have been dissolved, the borders have been shut, and a curfew has been imposed. A military council led by Déby´s son, a 37-year-old general, Mahamat Idriss Déby, will govern the country for the next 18 months. However, he said that once the transition period was over, free and democratic elections will be held.
Difficult words: uprising (when a group of people start fighting against the people who are in power in their country), ally (a state that cooperates with another state for a military or other purpose), jihadist (an Islamic militant who is very active in trying to bring about political changes), dissolve (to end something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.