Chaplin’s World in Switzerland – level 3
It’s taken 15 years of planning and finally a museum showcasing the life and works of Charlie Chaplin is set to open its doors in Switzerland, paying tribute to the London-born comedian.
Chaplin’s World is set in a park on the estate of Manoir de Ban, in the village of Corsier-sur-Vevey on Lake Geneva. Chaplin spent the last 25 years of his life here, with his wife and their eight children.
The exhibition includes a Hollywood-style studio, a tour with images detailing Chaplin’s life and work, and a mock “Easy Street” – a setting for one of his classic movies. There are more than 30 wax figures, including people who mattered to him, like Albert Einstein, and artists, such as Michael Jackson.
Charlie Chaplin and his wife were forced to leave the United States in the 1950s during the McCarthy Era, as the actor was suspected to have communist sympathies. He died on Christmas Day in 1977 at the age of 88.
Difficult words: pay tribute (to show respect), estate (a property, an area), mock (not real).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.