Chile’s lithium industry – level 1
Chile’s president Gabriel Boric wants to take control of the country’s lithium industry. Lithium is a metal used in electric car batteries.
This move will help Chile’s economy. It will protect Chile’s nature, too. SQM and Albemarle are two big companies in the lithium industry. The government will take over their lithium factories and run a new company. This will make it harder for electric car makers to get the materials which they need.
Other countries are also trying to protect their resources. Mexico, Argentina, and Bolivia are working together to use lithium and other minerals well.
Difficult words: economy (business activities of a country), protect (to keep safe), resource (materials or things which people can use).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges might Chile face in running its new lithium company?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos