Chimp escapes from a zoo – level 2
In Northern Japan, a chimp escaped a zoo. The 24-year-old male climbed up power lines to try to get away.
Workers and animal experts tried to use a cherry picker to get the animal down, but that did not work, so a veterinarian shot the chimp with a tranquilizer gun.
After a moment, the chimp fell down. There were people on the ground who tried to catch him, but they failed. However, local media said that the chimp is fine.
Difficult words: cherry picker (a thing often used by firefighters or builders that can safely move people up and down), veterinarian (an animal doctor), tranquilizer (a drug which makes you relax or sleep).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other methods could have been used to help the chimp down from the power lines?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.