China stops Philippine fishermen – level 2
The Philippines is upset because China’s coast guard put up a floating barrier in a part of the South China Sea.
This barrier stops Filipino fishermen from going there and fishing. The Philippine Coast Guard and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources are very unhappy about this and they want to protect their rights in the sea. China claims a lot of the South China Sea, but this overlaps with areas that belong to other countries, like Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
The Scarborough Shoal is the place where this dispute is happening. China took control of it in 2012. They allowed Filipino fishermen to go back there, but now things are getting difficult again. Recently, Filipino officials found a big barrier there, and Chinese boats were nearby, which caused more problems.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What could the Philippines and other nations do to gain control and access to the South China Sea?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.