China’s Naval Parade – level 3
China showed off its new military force at a naval parade, including new nuclear submarines, and the first of its next-generation guided-missile destroyers. This happened last Tuesday.
The parade marked the 70th anniversary of the creation of the People’s Liberation Army Navy. China’s President, Xi Jinping, has a goal to turn the country’s navy into a ‘world-class force’. China has been developing stealth jets and aircraft carriers, as well – the country’s first-ever domestically built aircraft carrier is currently undergoing sea trials and was not at the military parade.
Newsy is the original news provider which reports are modified into three levels of difficulty. As Newsy previously reported, one of the reasons that countries throw military parades is to showcase their military power without blowing anything up.
Difficult words: guided-missile destroyers (a destroyer – a military ship which can launch guided missiles), stealth jet (a military plane which cannot be easily ‘seen’ by radar), domestically (in China only).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.