China’s three-child policy – level 1
The one-child policy is in China in the past. A policy is a law that people must follow. This policy means that couples can have only one child.
The one-child policy brings problems now. The Chinese population is getting old. The government must do something quickly. The three-child policy is in China now. Couples can have three children. This is very difficult for working mothers.
Working mothers must look after children after work. They cannot work overtime. Overtime is when you work extra. Companies do not like this. They discriminate against working mothers.
Another problem is with maternity leave. Maternity leave is 98 days long in China. Companies do not want to pay it. The government pays only a part of it.
Difficult words: population (people who live in the same place or area), discriminate (to prefer a person to somebody else because he is a man or woman, young or old, or he has a different skin color), maternity leave (the time when a woman stays at home with a baby, and she does not go to work).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.