Chinese and Vietnamese ships – level 3
Tensions are rising in the South China Sea after a Chinese vessel reportedly hit a Vietnamese fishing boat, causing it to sink.
Vietnamese Television, who recently broadcast this footage, said it was filmed near a controversial oil rig last month.
The video shows a larger vessel closely following a smaller fishing boat. Then in another shot, the boat begins to sink.
Both countries blame each other for the incident near the disputed Paracel Islands. Vietnamese media says that Chinese vessels rammed the boat and used water cannons on their coast guards, while Chinese state media argued that the boat collided with its vessel after harassing a Chinese fishing boat.
Whatever the reason, the sinking is likely to escalate tensions between the two countries which are locked in dispute about the South China sea territory.
Difficult words: tension (bad feeling when two countries do not trust each other), vessel (large boat), disputed (argued about), ram (to run into something very hard), harass (attack), escalate (to get worse and worse).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.