Chinese baby companies have problems – level 2
Chinese companies that make products for children are expanding their product lines to include adult and pet clothing.
The country’s falling birth rate is a result of the one-child policy that lasted from 1980 to 2015. The government raised the limit to three children in 2021, but couples are still not having babies. Yan Zhang, CEO of Shanghai children’s clothing brand NATUNAKIDS, expects sales to go down in the next three to five years.
Customers worry that their favorite brands may go bankrupt as a result of the changes in the industry. Experts predict a bad future for baby companies in China.
Difficult words: birth rate (how many children are born in a country in one year), brand (the name of products by one company), bankrupt (when a person or company has no money at all).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other strategies could companies use to stay afloat in the face of the decline in China's birth rate?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos