Cholera in Mozambique – level 2
Cholera is a disease which causes diarrhoea. If ill people do not get help, it can kill them.
Last Wednesday, five people had cholera in Mozambique. On Friday, 139 people had it. There is a risk that more people will catch it. People can catch this disease from water or food.
The World Health Organisation is trying to help. It sent 900 cholera vaccines and 21 medical teams to Mozambique.
Difficult words: disease (a thing/virus/bacteria which makes you ill), diarrhoea (when you have to poop very often and the poop is like water; this sickness can kill you because you have no water in your body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.