Christmas tree on water – level 2
Last Saturday, people lit up the floating Christmas tree of Rio de Janeiro. Nearly 200,000 people took to the streets to watch.
The tree is massive – it is 53 metres tall and it weighs 350 tonnes. People move it around the city’s lagoon, so people from different parts of the city can see it.
The Christmas tree uses 2.5 million micro light bulbs, and this year is its 20th.
Difficult words: light up (to turn on the lights on something), floating (moving on water), massive (very big).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the Christmas tree in Rio de Janeiro?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos