Church Collapses in Nigeria – level 2
Buildings in Nigeria often collapse because people bribe inspectors. The latest building collapse was a church in a town called Uyo. Before the collapse, workers were working fast to finish before a special event.
The event was a consecration of a man as bishop. Hundreds of people were inside at the time of the collapse. So far 160 people have died. People worry, that there will be more dead bodies.
Difficult words: bribe (give somebody money so he or she will do something for you), inspector (a person who checks if something is OK), consecration (a ceremony to make somebody a bishop).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos