Cigarette ends on beaches – level 1
Julian Melcer lives in Tel Aviv, Israel. He cleans Israeli beaches every morning. He picks up cigarette butts.
Julian starts to clean the beaches three years ago. He does not like the trash on beaches. He sells ashtrays to smokers. He makes up to 4,000 dollars a month in summer.
He also makes art from cigarette butts. Julian talks to smokers. He tells them how dangerous cigarette butts are. They hurt sea animals and the natural world.
Millions of people clean beaches in all the world. They do it for more than 30 years. The cigarette butt is the most usual trash. People pick up more than 60 million cigarette butts over 30 years. People throw away more cigarette butts than plastic bottles, containers, and other things.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.