Cigarette ends on beaches – level 2
Julian Melcer lives in Tel Aviv and every morning, he picks up cigarette butts from Israeli beaches. Julian started cleaning the beaches three years ago because he did not like the trash which people left behind.
Julian talks to people about how dangerous cigarette buts are for the natural world and for sea animals. He sells pocket ashtrays which earn him up to 4,000 dollars a month during the summer. People use the ashtrays for cigarette ash and butts.
Every year, volunteers clean the world´s beaches, and in the last thirty years, they picked up more than 60 million cigarette butts. People throw away more cigarette butts than plastic containers, bottles, and plastic wrappers all together. Cigarette butts are very dangerous, and Julian helps make people aware of the problem.
Difficult words: cigarette butt (the cigarette end which people have in the mouth), leave behind (to go away from a place and leave something there), volunteer (a person who does something because he wants to and he does not get any money for the work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.