Circus Has Problems – level 3
Entertainment company Cirque du Soleil has filed for bankruptcy due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Canada-based circus arts show announced on Monday that the filing is a response to immense disruption and forced show closures. The company also said that it had to lay off about 3,500 employees in order to help curb further financial loss. However, the company plans to rehire a lot of the staff when official restrictions are lifted.
Cirque du Soleil has resident shows in Las Vegas and Orlando, USA, and these shows are expected to start before other shows. Therefore, performers and staff members there are not among the laid off people.
Difficult words: disruption (problems that interrupt an event or activity), lay off (to make somebody leave his job), curb (to limit).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos