City of Widows – level 2
Holi is an Indian festival of colour. It is celebrated in the northern Indian city of Vrindavan, which is known as the City of Widows. There is a number of widowed women in the city who have found shelter there. They danced with tourists who came to see the festival.
An Indian man started organising the celebrations in 2013. A widow from a care home for the elderly said that they do not feel like widows any more. Their lives are much better thanks to this man.
Difficult words: widow (a woman whose husband died), shelter (a safe place), elderly (old people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos