City Takes Away Statue – level 2
The Virginia governor, Ralph Northam, said that officials will remove a statue of General Robert E. Lee. Lee fought in the American Civil War, and he wanted to keep black people as slaves.
In Virginia, people protested over the dead of George Floyd, a black man who was killed by police. Protesters covered the statue with graffiti because the statue represents the sad history of black people in the US.
Northam said that in 2020 people must not honor this part of American history and that it is necessary to move on. The statue is on Monument Avenue in Richmond, Virginia, and the city plans to remove other statues, too.
Difficult words: general (the leader of a group of soldiers), slave (a person who is not free, he belongs to somebody else and he must do everything what the other person wants), honor (to show respect to someone or something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.