City without electricity – level 3
During a long-running battle against militants, the economy of Nigeria´s city of Maidugri is struggling after militants destroyed the power lines, and cut the northeastern city off from the country’s power grid.
Maidugri is the capital of Borno State, the epicenter of the 12-year battle against militants. In January, militants bombed the transmission lines, cutting the city´s power. People fixed them and destroyed them again within two days. The next month, a repair vehicle hit an explosive device, killing one soldier and injuring three workers.
The lack of power is stifling the city´s economy and luring the people who cannot earn money into working with militants who are just outside the city. Local businesses are now dependent on expensive and polluting generators. Officers had removed explosive devices from the roads to improve security, which would allow repairs. A Nigerian oil company has also promised to build a gas-fired power plant to stop the dependence on transmission lines.
Difficult words: epicenter (the central point of something, typically a difficult or unpleasant situation), stifle (to prevent from happening or continuing), lure (to tempt someone by offering pleasure or reward).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.