Climate change talks – level 2
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres met with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and more than 35 other world leaders.
Guterres said that world leaders did not work hard enough to stop climate change. He said that it was necessary to lower emissions and to help poorer countries make cleaner energy.
This year’s summer was full of natural disasters. Wildfires destroyed a large part of the US and floods hit the US, China, and Europe, too. There were cyclones in places where they never were before.
Guterres said that it was necessary to lower emissions by 45% by 2030. The latest numbers show that countries lowered emissions, but it was not enough. If the situation stays as it is now, the emissions will grow by 16% in 2030.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.