Coal mine protests – level 1
Thousands of people protest in West Germany. The government wants to destroy a village.
The name of the village is Luezerath. It is very close to a coal mine. The government wants to make the mine larger. Germany needs more coal. The country still depends on coal from Russia.
Protesters say that Germany is one of the biggest polluters in Europe. A polluter makes a lot of trash or smoke. Germany must be responsible. The country must reach its goal of the 2015 Paris Agreement.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.