Cocaine business – level 2
Groups in Colombia make about 2,000 tons of cocaine every year, which is almost twice as much as they did ten years ago.
Farmers use around 200,000 hectares of land to grow coca, the plant that creates cocaine. This area is five times more than in the time when Pablo Escobar was the leader of the powerful Medellín Cartel. Cocaine business has an impact on many countries, businesses and people, too.
Ten years ago, the Colombian government wanted to destroy coca fields, and it negotiated with the largest unofficial military group in the country. The result wasn’t good. When the group got back its power, it threatened farmers to grow coca.
The new president doesn’t want to punish poor coca farmers, but he wants to punish the mafia.
Difficult words: cartel (an organized group of criminals from Mexico and South America), punish (to do something unpleasant if someone doesn’t do what they want), mafia (an organized group of criminals from Italy or other parts of the world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos