Coffee Heats up Homes – level 1
This news is about coffee. People in London drink a lot of coffee. People have to throw away around 200,000 tonnes of used coffee every year. However, they can still use the coffee grounds.
One man has a factory. This factory takes out the oils from the coffee. It produces coffee logs. You can use these logs instead of wood. One log comes from the waste of 25 cups of coffee.
The man’s factory produces 50,000 tonnes of logs a year. That is enough to power hundreds of thousands of homes!
Difficult words:coffee grounds (used coffee), log (a large piece of wood that people normally use to start fires), waste (something which is already used; something which you normally throw away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos