Cold-Water Chess – level 3
Russian swimmers tested their stamina by playing chess in a freezing lake. Standing in ice-cold water surrounded by ice, one of the swimmers explained that the activity does have its benefits.
He said that playing in cold water helps you concentrate and lets you stay in the water for longer. When you get in, you face a certain fear barrier, but once you get past that, you just test your tolerance and stamina.
The swimmers said that they got the idea for cold-water chess after reading about winter swimmers who played the game in Soviet times.
Difficult words: stamina (the strength, the power to go through something difficult), tolerance (willingness to do something), Soviet (when Russia was a Communist country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Would you like to try this game?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos