Companies leave Russia – level 3
In Russia, French food company Danone will relinquish control of its dairy food business. The deal could lead to a write-off of up to 978 million dollars.
Danone joins a lengthy list of global companies that made costly exits from Russia because of its war in Ukraine. Danone will offload a business that represents about 90% of its operations in the country, and only its infant nutrition business will remain. According to the company, this option is best to ensure long-term business continuity. However, Danone didn’t reveal the business recipient.
Many Western consumer goods companies including Nestle and Procter&Gamble continue to provide essential food and medicine to Russia; however, they face increasing pressure from consumers and activists to cut all work with the country.
Difficult words: relinquish (to give up), write-off (a cancellation from the company as a loss of money), offload (to get rid of something that you don’t want by giving or selling it to someone else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.