Conjoined twins in China – level 2
Conjoined twins were born in China last year. They were connected from their chests to their navels. They also had two connected livers.
After months of hospital care, the weight of the twin sisters increased to almost 10 kilograms, and they were strong enough to get an operation. The doctors operated on them last Tuesday. It took the doctors five hours.
Seventy per cent of conjoined twins are female. Being conjoined happens once every 200,000 live births. Since 1950, doctors have separated 250 conjoined twins.
Difficult words: conjoined (connected), navel (belly button), separate (to disconnect; to make into two separate people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about separating conjoined twins?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos