Coral bleaching – level 2
The Great Barrier Reef is 1,931 kilometres long, and it is along Australia’s northeast coast. It is the world’s largest living ecosystem and it is in danger.
This year is very hot, partly because of the current El Niño climate cycle. The water temperature is rising which is very bad for corals. The coral is under stress and is driving out the living algae. Only the coral’s “rock” stays behind. Then the coral is dead. This is called bleaching.
The Great Barrier Reef is being bleached. People filmed 500 coral reefs from the north of Australia to Papua New Guinea, and the video showed that 95% of them are white and yellow.
Difficult words: reef (a line of coral, rock or sand in the water), coast (a part of the land which touches the sea), singular alga, plural algae (a simple aquatic plant).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.