Corals get white – level 2
Coral reefs represent less than 0.1 per cent of the ocean floor, but they support around 25 per cent of all marine species.
This year, coral reefs are suffering an underwater heatwave. It led to the third global bleaching event. A bleached coral is not colourful – it is white because you can see its skeleton.
Around 38 per cent of corals are going to be bleached this year, and 12,000 square kilometres of corals will die.
Difficult words: marine species (types of animals which live in the sea), suffer (if you suffer something, something bad is done to you), bleach (to make something white).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation for the corals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.