Coronavirus and Business – level 2
The past week was very bad for the markets. The New York Stock Exchange saw a big fall; it was the worst fall since the global financial crisis in 2008. This happened in the US, Japan, Italy, and Germany.
Experts say that the main reason is the coronavirus. It has a negative impact on business, shopping centers, and tourism. On Friday, the World Health Organization said that the risk of the virus is extremely high. It is a problem for all of the world.
There are more than 83,000 people ill in the world; most of them are in China. However, the US government said that the risk to people in the US is low.
Difficult words: market (a place where business happens), The New York Stock Exchange (a place in New York where big companies do business), negative impact (a bad effect, something that makes bad things happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.