Coronavirus and Olympics – level 1
This year, there are the Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo is the capital city of Japan. The coronavirus is in Japan. Japanese officials say that 100 people are ill. They think that it is not a problem for the Olympics.
In 2012, the Olympics are in London. London knows how to plan the Olympics. London has all sports grounds and stadiums already. A London official says that London can help Tokyo. The Olympics can be in London this year.
The International Olympic Committee thinks that the Olympics can be in Tokyo. The committee says that the coronavirus is not dangerous for the Olympics.
Difficult words: Olympics (when sportsmen and sportswomen from all of the world meet in summer and winter every four years), coronavirus (a dangerous virus that makes people ill, and they have a fever and problems with breathing), International Olympic Committee (a group of people who plan and prepare the Olympics).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.