Coup in Turkey – level 3
It was a night the Turkish Prime Minister described as “a black stain on Turkish democracy.”
Almost 200 people have been killed and over 1000 injured after a military uprising in Turkey. It began when rebel soldiers closed the main bridges in Istanbul leaving Turks unsure of who was in charge of the country.
Hours later, a group from within the military seized control of the state broadcaster. Gunfire and explosions were reported in the capital Ankara and main city Istanbul. Airspace over Turkey’s northwestern Marmara region was closed to civilian flights. Hundreds died during the clashes and 2800 soldiers, including high-ranking officers, were arrested.
As reports came in of tanks firing at parliament, the country’s president urged his supporters to come out onto the streets. And as crowds answered their president’s plea, the coup attempt crumbled and rebels abandoned their tanks.
Despite the attempted coup being reportedly over, tensions still remain high and civilians are being urged to stay indoors.
Difficult words: stain (a bad mark), uprising (when people try to change the government), seize (take), broadcaster (a company which sends out television programs), clash (a fight), plea (a request for help), coup (a military revolution), crumble (collapse), abandon (leave).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.