COVID-19 vaccine from a tree – level 1
Farmers in Chile’s Casablanca area grow special trees. These trees are Quillay trees. Their bark can be important for a new COVID-19 vaccine.
Indigenous people make soap and medicine from the tree. Scientists make some vaccines from it. The tree has some substances which make a body stronger against diseases. It seems that scientists will make a COVID-19 vaccine, too. It will be good for poorer countries. They do not have money for expensive vaccines.
Scientists use old trees. They will need more trees when they make the vaccine. They must find ways to grow many new trees quickly.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.