Crane falls down in New York – level 3
Pre-wedding jitters for any bride is normal, worrying about the possibility of a huge crane collapsing in the city where you’re going to get married, is less usual.
This Toronto bride was on her way to get married at New York City Hall when she got caught up in the chaos of the collapsed 330-tonne construction crane. The area’s been evacuated by firefighters at the scene and the cause of the crane’s descent remains unclear.
The bride, Nash Pillai, was with her sister and mother at a nearby hair salon when the crane fell in downtown Manhattan. But the shocking incident was no obstacle for the bride who can be seen being escorted through the crash by firefighters just so that she could make her own wedding.
One valiant firefighting even lent her his jacket, but the incident has destroyed buildings and cars in its wake as well as many lives.
Difficult words: jitters (feelings of extreme nervousness), huge (very big), descent (a fall), obstacle (problem), valiant (brave), in its wake (as a result).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.