Crime in Sweden – level 3
In Sweden, a manhunt is under way after two men allegedly stole royal jewels dating back to the 17th century. The artefacts were on display in a cathedral in a town in the south east coast of the country.
A witness described how the thieves made a quick getaway via a boat waiting on Lake Malaren. Authorities have been using helicopters and boats in the search for the precious jewels – they are missing two crowns and an orb. King Karl IX and his wife Kristina used these artefacts.
Difficult words: manhunt (a search for a person or people), allegedly (used in the media when facts are not 100% certain), artefact (a historically important object), precious (very special), orb (a golden globe with a cross).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.