Crisis in Iraq – level 2
An online video shows a group of Iraqi prisoners. They are questioned by their captors. One of the prisoners says that they understand and respect the captors.
The captors make fun of them. They ridicule them. Another video shows a man on the ground. His head is seriously wounded and he appears to be dead.
Difficult words: captor (somebody who keeps another person prisoner), ridicule (to laugh at somebody and say that they are stupid), wounded (hurt).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
When was the last war in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.